To contact, please email: ThreeArtsFriends@gmail.com

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Laura Stoller, Architectural Masters Candidate, to meet with Three Arts Club Friends


The Friends of the Three Arts Club recently received an email from Laura Stoller, a student pursuing a Masters in Architecture. A group of us plans to meet with her near the end of February, 2010. We are very excited to hear about her studies and her ideas for this magnificent place. If you would like to join us at our meeting with Ms. Stoller, please email here.

This is what Laura said:

My name is Laura Stoller and I am a Master of Architecture student at
the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. I happened to walk by
the Three Arts Club last summer and fell in love with it. My
concentration is in Preservation which includes everything from
building rehabilitation and adaptive reuse projects to recording and
documenting historic buildings. I will graduate in May with my
Masters and plan on becoming a licensed architect, focusing on
Preservation in Chicago.

The reason I am emailing is because my one-year thesis project is on
the Three Arts Club. I started the project in August and I will
present my thesis at the end of April. I spent last semester
researching everything I could about the building and digging up old
articles, images, etc. I was able to contact the developer and he
gave me a tour of the building, as well as the original set of
architectural drawings. I have reproduced the drawings electronically
using AutoCAD and now I am working on my proposed design for the
building.

I have a number of ideas for the new use of the building, including a
modern interpretation of the original Three Arts Club. I would love
to discuss my thesis with you and if you are interested, get your
imput. My goal is that my thesis project could help create a future
for this amazing building.

2 comments:

  1. Laura I would love to see you CAD drawings and hear about your thesis and ideas. I have some ideas myself and think the time has come to make a push to save and revive this remarkable place for the next century. I will be in Chicago mid June if you are free to meet. I share your enthusiasm and hope I can help!

    Jebba

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, did Laura tell about what her thesis was all about? Well, from the sounds of her story, she really has a lot of things going in her life. It is really hard to start thesis writing, especially the first part when you start to write the thesis statement. Anyway, what did happened to the Three Arts Club?

    ReplyDelete

Please share your words. To show your name, please click on the choice "NAME AND URL." Then fill in your name. Thank you.